New OSHA regulations for portable ladders have just gone into effect this month. That means that you may have to review your ladders to ensure they are code-compliant. Ladders are a critical component of fall prevention. Therefore, they need to meet safety standards set by ANSI, ASC, and OSHA. MC Tool & Safety offers a wide selection of industrial ladders in all shapes, sizes, and materials that comply with all federal, state, and local regulations. Contact us today to find out more about the portable ladders we carry.
Portable Ladder Construction
OSHA defines a portable ladder as one that you can readily move or carry and usually consists of side rails joined at intervals by steps, rungs, or cleats. By 29 CFR 1910.23(c), employers must ensure that:
● Rungs and steps are slip resistant
● Portable ladders are equipped with a metal spreader or locking device that securely locks ladder in open position
● No single rail ladders are used
● If used to gain access to upper landing surface, the side rails must be able to extend at least three feet above the upper landing surface
● Portable ladders are not fastened together to provide added length unless designed for such use
Portable Ladder Use
OSHA also specifies the do’s and don’ts of ladder use. Remember that most accidents are caused by improper use of ladders, not the ladder construction. If you combine proper use with solid construction, you make the workplace much safer. It is essential that you train your crew to practice safety measures and also inspect the ladders each day to make sure they are in good working condition. Doing so will save your team a trip to the hospital or avoid a fatality from a fall.
● Portable ladders are not loaded beyond maximum intended load
● If used in passageways, doorways, or driveways they are secured to prevent accidental displacement or guarded by a temporary barricade
● If used on slippery surfaces, they are secured and stabilized
● The portable ladders are not moved, shifted, or extended while a worker is on them
● Top step and caps of step ladders are not used as steps
● Portable ladders are not placed on boxes, barrels, or other unstable bases to obtain added height
Purchase Your Ladders From MC Tool & Safety
If you need to update your commercial or industrial ladders, contact MC Tool & Safety today. We provide a wide array of products and services designed to keep your workplace safe. We offer industrial safety equipment, industrial supplies for public work projects, and landscaping equipment. To find out more about our products and services, visit our website. You can also call us at 888-206-2569, or you can message us at email@example.com. We are located in the Minneapolis and St. Paul metro area.